5.8″ In-Dash Double-DIN DVD AV Receiver with iPod/iPhone Control
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD is a very affordable In-Dash Double Din DVD unit from Pioneer that is very well known for the ease of installation and a good balance between the price and the quality. I have installed a number of car stereos over the years but this was by far the easiest so far. The correct adapters come with the kit, the instructions were easy to understand and the whole thing required little effort in comparison to some other head units I’ve had the misfortune to grapple with. Although this unit has a very low price in comparison to similar models like AVH-P4300DVD, it offers a very good quality for the price.
There is a new model of this unit, for the year 2012 – Pioneer AVH-P2400BT
Pioneer AVH-P2300BT Highlights:
- Very reasonable price compared to features. Price range from $279.99 to $419
- High-end 5.8 inch touchscreen display with widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio and WQVGA (480×240) pixel resolution
- iPhone/iPod control, playback from USB devices, auxiliary input
- Supports DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, MP3/WMA/AAC, JPEG, DivX receiver
- MOSFET 50 Watts x 4 peak power with two 2V RCA preamp outputs
- Ready for Satellite/HD Radio, Bluetooth adapter, GPS navigation system, rear-view camera
- Customizable and improved user interface with one click direct source selection
High-end display and improved user interface
The first thing I noted was the quality of the screen on Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD unit. It’s similar to that of an iPhone. Anyone who owns an iPhone will know that although in comparison to 1080p, 480 x 240 sounds like low resolution, because of the smaller size of the screen however, video playback looks as it is a high definition.
New and improved user interface will amaze you, as it is much more convenient and faster to navigate than before. Complicated layer selection displays are now replaced with stress-free smarter solution which makes it smoother than ever.
The touch screen is very sensitive, which I like very much. Tracks and video files are selected with ease and the layout feels intuitive as it’s basically common sense. I have used technology of this kind in the past where I’m scratching my head trying to figure out why they made insane layout choices that just don’t make sense. There’s no such problem with this device, everything feels pretty much where it should be. If you’re even halfway computer literate or if you have ever owned any kind of media playback device then you will be able to navigate around the layout very easily.
The appearance of the head unit of AVH-P2300DVD has a decent amount of customization, you can add your own photograph and set it as a background, you can also change the color of the LED lights located on the switches on the left-hand panel and display can be customized to five different modes (Blue/Red/Amber/Green/Violet) to match the color of the Dash. These customization features didn’t really interest me enough for me to bother setting up my own background theme, though I suppose some people will enjoy it. Whilst I’m talking about appearance it’s worth noting that the whole head unit looks rather sleek and lifts the appearance of the interior of your vehicle.
Video playback and formats
I keep a lot of DivX files on my laptop, so I had files on hand ready to try without the need for conversion. Trying the video playback out was as simple as putting the files on a USB stick, entering the data format on the head unit and playing it. I don’t think I will be watching many video files because I don’t often end up waiting in my car for long enough, however it will prove useful for the kids sat in the back to keep them quite whilst on long journeys. The DVD playback was quite fast, I’ve used devices in the past that seem take forever to read the DVD and get to the movie, this was pretty much instant.
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD can also play all files either from the USB storage device. Over the long term I don’t think I’ll be using the CD/DVD playback but will instead use solely USB sticks, as it has the potential to cut down on a lot of in car clutter. If like me you have children, you will appreciate how hard it is to keep your vehicle tidy. Converting DVDs to a DivX file is a very simple process and there are numerous guides available on the internet.
Sound quality and features of the AVH-P2300DVD
The sound playback was very good, I was able to get some good bass and treble tones whilst trying it out with a couple of mp3s. The digital radio worked very well once I was able to find the radio station I wanted but it did take some time to find my station compared to my old stereo.
Featuring Pioneer’s Advanced Sound Retriever technology that restores data from compressed files like MP3 and WMA formats, will provide clarity and outstanding detail of every song whether it is stored on a USB, DVD or iPod.
Unit also features five-band graphic equalizers, which enables you to customize levels to best match the acoustics of your car and to fit your taste. And the powerful 4 channels of 50 Watts each with efficient MOSFET amplification will do just fine for every audio maniac out there. It also offers two 2V RCA preamp outputs for boosting your system further.
With optional CD-IU50V USB interface cable you can control your iPhone or iPod directly from the receivers main screen. However anytime you can switch over to the “application mode” to control from the iPod/iPhone itself. You can also use your iPhone as the navigation unit thereby to save additional cash while still having all-round quality sound system with all gadgets in your car.
Some bads of AVH-P2300DVD
- The one minor downside to the installation was I had to purchase a 12 volt relay. With a basic amount of aptitude when it comes to anything electrical you should be fine.
- Unfortunately unit doesn’t provide the SD/SDHC Memory card slot which is a shame, but there is the USB port which will work just fine if you ask me.
To sum up the Pioneer avh-p2300dvd, I would say it’s an easily installable, high quality unit with great display and lots of features that can do a lot of things well just like other more expensive units. So it’s a good value for money for what you get.
You can download user manual for this unit here
Technical Specifications of Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
- In-dash Double DIN DVD, AM/FM, CD, MP3, WMA player with Remote
- 5.8″ Full color WQVGA (480×240) Touchscreen display
- Display and buttons color customization with 5 different display colors and 112 color key illumination options
- Wireless remote control included
- Power Output:
- Peak: 50 watts x 4 channels
- RMS: 22 watts x 4 channels (Pioneer Certified)
- RMS: 14 watts x 4 channels (CEA Certified)
- CD Text Display enabled
- MP3 ID3 Tag Display (Title/Artist/Album)
Playback and Audio Features:
- Playback of DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, VCD, AAC, DivX, MP3, WMA, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and JPEG
- Supertuner IIID tuner with 18FM/6AM presets
- EEQ (Easy EQ) 5-band graphic EQ
- Advanced Sound Retrieval technology (this function restores the lost frequencies that come with digital compressed formats such as MP3 and WMA)
- 3-Mode loudness setting
- Adjustable bass boost
- Internal high-pass filter
- Source level adjustment allows the user to change the volume settings of different audio sources
- Dolby Digital decoder
- Linear PCM decoder
- DTS Digital out
- 96 kHz/24-bit Digital-to-Analog (D/A) Converter
- 2 Sets of 2V preamp outputs (front and rear/subwoofer switchable)
- Navigation Ready: Pioneer AVIC-U220 required
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio Ready: Pioneer SIRIUS Radio Package required
- XM Satellite Radio Ready: Pioneer GEX-P920XM required and sold separately
- HD Radio Ready: Pioneer GEX-P20HD required and sold separately
- Bluetooth Ready: Pioneer CD-BTB200 required and sold separately
- iPod/iPhone Ready: Pioneer CD-IU50V required and sold separately
- Front-panel auxiliary input: 3.5mm (headphone jack) allows connection to portable media devices such as MP3 players, etc.
- Front-panel USB input: USB Port allows connection to digital media devices such as MP3 players, etc.
- Rear audio/video input: 1 set of rear RCA Audio/Video inputs
- Rear video output: 1 set of rear video output
- Rear video input: Rear video input for rear view cameras with a RCA composite input, however the Pioneer ND-BC20PA is recommended
- AVH-P2300DVD is steering wheel remote ready: PAC SWI-PS or the Axxess ASWC required and sold separately